“Knowledge is having the right answer. Intelligence is asking the right question.” (author Unknown)
If you’re looking for the right answers that will help you win more clients and potentially build more business partnerships, then learning how to ask the right questions is a must! The best sales people are curious question askers. And they love understanding the answers! This is how they get to the root of the challenge a prospect wants them to solve.
It separates the order taker from the problem solver.
And the transaction seeker from the relationship builder.
Successful distributors know how to weave critical questions into their prospecting conversations. They gain valuable “inside” intelligence which enables them to offer better solutions and win more business.
Below is a list of questions I ask every time I’m asked to quote a project. I’m sure you’re asking many of these questions already, but if there’s just one or two new ones on this list and you start using them, imagine what might happen to your business!
1. Tell me what you’re looking for.
2. Why are you looking for it?
3. Who’s your primary audience?
4. How do you want your recipients to feel when they attend this event/receive this item?
5. What’s your budget? Timeframe? Quantity? Art requirements?
6. Are you considering using this item again, or will it be used once?
7. Are there any limitations (i.e., weight, travel, etc.) ?
8. Are there any specific things you want to consider or don’t want to consider? Any reason why?
9. How are you making your decision?
10. How do you want information to be provided so you and your team can make your decision?
11. What do you need from me to secure this order?
12. What do you expect from me after you place the order?
13. What do you need from me so I can get paid? What is your payment policy?
And, the key to asking great questions is to listen to the answers. Ask for clarification where you’re confused. If you feel overwhelm trying to quote the project, chances are you’re missing a piece of the puzzle.
Without all the information it’s really hard to do your best work and show up as the amazing distributor you are! Don’t assume you know the answers. Give a prospect time to talk, and they usually will tell you everything you need to know, and it gets them thinking about what they want too!
Abigail Tiefenthaler is founder of Sweetspot Strategies, Inc., a marketing consulting practice that teaches small business owners, primarily promotional products distributors, how to brand their super power in order to authentically dominate their competitive space. She has 35+ years of branding and marketing experience, including 21 years running an independent distributorship that exceeded $1MM in revenue in less than 2 years. If you’re looking to up your game, get focused on success, and find the sweetspot of your distributorship, book your free Strategy Session today!
Abigail's goal is simple, build a brand that positions a business as different and unique, then simplify marketing so it can attract the right prospects.
Connect With Abigail!
To connect with Abigail, follow her on social media or follow the link below to contact her.
Join Our Facebook Group!
This Facebook group is a FREE valuable resource for branding, marketing and sales questions and challenges. This group offers advice, inspiration and a platform for you to introduce yourself and your business. There's nothing mandatory to join the group! It's a place for you to learn, grow and ask questions as a business owner.